Monday, March 12, 2007

Fun with Sheep in Marton

Yep - I've shorn a sheep. I figured if I could purchase an Icebreaker tee shirt made of New Zealand Marino wool, I could shear a sheep. The sheep on Holly Farm are treated very well - only shorn once every nine months or so, and the rest of the time they live on beautiful hilly pastures with their only "predator" a barking dog to lead them in and out of their paddocks.
After the sheep are shorn, they are led into stalls and led down a "race", then "drafted" into seperate pens depending on their size, gender, condition, etc. The Kiwis had a good laugh at us Yanks trying to draft the sheep - it was quite a hootinanny for sure. I'd like to see the average Kiwi try THEIR hand at it too. Its not as easy as it looks!
After the sheep, we went on ATVs (I even drove one for a little distance) all over the beautiful hilly land. Had I known what I was getting in to I may have been a bit sheepish about it (ha ha ha), but I'm glad I went along for the adventure. There were beautiful vistas and some wicked good laughs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy...lamb chops! They make great clothes too. Glad to see you're having a great time. Miss you terribly. Much love, Joy

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,

I guess all the haircuts that you've given me over the years has given you an edge!

Your Hun-knee

P.S. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

LOL....Wicked Good...sounds like you are immersing yourself in the language too! Love the pic of the sheep shearing; what a wonderful experience. You'll remember that everytime you wear wool ;)
Take care,
Vail
ps I leave for surf camp tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Helen,

Wow, you sounds like your having a great time. We miss you back in the Hudson Valley.

Your NS Friend......

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen!

Judging by the photos & your personal comments on this blog,especially section 2,it seems like you're having a great time in New Zealand.My dad,George Duarte,is also having a good time there.Because my dad is there with your group,I try to access the blog every day to find out what's going on over there.It's good that he's also called us.My name?Francesca.